Freelance Writer and Editor
My writing and editing services focus on translating complex science into compelling stories. Recent projects include:
- Press releases and tip sheets for the American Institute of Physics.
- Features on careers in science and medicine for New Scientist magazine.
- Profiles for the Burroughs Wellcome Fund annual report and web site.
- Features for the UNC College of Arts & Sciences alumni magazine.
- Patient information reports and journal article summaries for Navigenics, a private genetic testing company.
- Profiles of local scientists for the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science.
- Press releases for the UNC School of Medicine, Duke Medicine and the Duke Fuqua School of Business.
- Edited online content for the University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
- Continuing Medical Education content for the American Gastroenterological Association.
Health and Science Editor
Managed flow of health and science news from medicine, nursing, pharmacy and science schools at a large public university. Edited and authored press releases, advisories, fact sheets and guest columns. Represented university at conferences and in media interviews. Oversaw the development and launch of a Joomla-based website.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill News Services
Aug. 2006-Sept. 2007
Senior Public Relations Specialist
Interviewed faculty and turned their findings into creative news releases and pitches. Produced hits in local, national and international media. Managed and updated news Web site and created a blog for Hurricane Katrina medical volunteers. Organized press conferences. Worked independently and anticipated and solved problems during crises. Provided media training and strategic counsel to faculty. Recruited and supervised interns.
Duke University Medical Center News Office
Feb. 2004-Aug. 2006
Science and City Reporter
Covered two of the country's leading science institutions, the California Institute of Technology and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Writing included breaking news, weekend features and 3,000- to 6,000-word series on everything from high-energy particle physics to Caltech's cheerleading squad. Managed multiple projects while meeting pressing deadlines, working irregular hours and completing unusual assignments. Also covered community, government and environmental issues in Altadena, a town of 42,000 tucked against the San Gabriel Mountains.
Pasadena Star-News, Pasadena, CA
Jan. 2001-Dec. 2003
Managed budgets, handled hazardous waste, worked with government agencies and averaged nine environmental risk assessment reports per month for properties throughout the U.S.
Dames & Moore, Los Angeles, CA
Jan. 1998-Aug. 1999
EDUCATIONUniversity of California, Santa Cruz
Master's Program Certificate in Science Writing, 2000
California Institute of Technology
M.S. in Geology, 1997
Washington State University
B.S. in Geology, 1994
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND AWARDSNational Association of Science Writers
Science Communicators of North Carolina, founding board member
N.C. Science Blogging Conference 2008 discussion leader: blogging public health and medicine
Los Angeles Press Club Awards, 2nd place: investigative/series
FACSNET science reporting fellowship