Angela Spivey's resumeFor contact information, please email me: spivey (at) angelaspivey.com
Get this resume in pdf format
- Sixteen years of experience writing accurately and engagingly about medicine and environmental health.
- Specialize in translating research for a non-scientist audience.
- Adept at managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficient at many forms of writing, including news stories, magazine articles, press releases, brochure and report copy, web copy, and textbook chapters.
- Eight years of experience as associate editor of a small research magazine
- Experience in newspaper copy editing as well as editing journal articles and textbook chapters for clarity, organization, grammer, and style
- Software: Basic Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, Drupal, HTML, Macromedia Dreamweaver, MS Office
Recent Work Experience
Independent writer, editor, and communications consultant
October 2001 to present
Writing clients include:
- Brogan and Partners Convergence Marketing
- Carolina Alumni Review
- Carolina Arts and Sciences magazine
- Carolina Public Health magazine
- DramaBiz magazine
- DukeMed magazine and other publications of Duke University Health System Creative Services
- Endeavors magazine (UNC Chapel Hill)
- Environmental Health Perspectives (a national journal)
- New Scientist Insider
- FirstHealth of the Carolinas magazine
- Nature Education
- New Scientist Insider
- NC State magazine
- The Scientist
- UNC Business magazine
- UNC Healthcare System
- UNC News Services
Editing and communications consulting clients include:
- Integrated Laboratory Systems, Inc.
- MDB, Inc.
- The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission
- The North Carolina Network of Grantmakers
Associate editor 1997 to 2005
Writer 1995 to 1997
Office of Information and Communications, UNC-Chapel Hill
- Established and maintained a professional atmosphere for a small magazine staff.
- Managed daily work on Endeavors--the university's research magazine (35,000 circulation).
- Ensured that a small staff published three 32-page issues per year on time. Includes planning each issue, assigning stories, setting copy and production schedules, and enforcing deadlines.
- Edited stories and supervised staff and freelance writers, coordinated work of photographers and printers.
- Wrote at least 4,000 words of magazine stories per issue. Wrote brochure and web-page copy as needed.
- Scouted photo locations, acted as art director at photo shoots with freelance photographers.
- Started an E-mail newsletter summarizing news releases for senior staff; distribution has continued since 1997.
Dresser, Light- and Sound-board operator, Designer/builder 1999 to present
Learn about all aspects of theater by working intermittently for professional theater groups such as Temple Theatre (Sanford, N.C.), Manbites Dog Theater (Durham, N.C.), Burning Coal (Raleigh, N.C.), and the ACT (Carrboro, N.C.). Designed and built an original dinosaur costume for a production of The Skin of Our Teeth (The ArtsCenter Theater).
Education and Affiliations
Member, National Association of Science Writers
Grants assistant. Office of Research Services, UNC-Chapel Hill. 1991-1995. Learned about the university's research mission and developed public contact skills while relieving associate director of administrative detail. Answered three phone lines and greeted and directed visitors for a busy research-administration office. Started an office recycling program.
Proofer/Typesetter. University Directories, Chapel Hill, NC. Summer 1991. As part of a four-person team, produced more than 60 campus telephone directories under weekly deadlines.
Copy editor. The Daily Tar Heel and the Durham Herald Sun. 1989-1990. Wrote headlines and edited copy for grammar, style, and punctuation for two daily newspapers (part-time while attending school).