NOTE: This bibliography constitutes a basic reading (and viewing) list on both sides of the recovered memory debate, with a few classic works on memory and hypnosis. Most are monographs, with periodical references to more important, oft-cited articles. Those works that espouse a belief in massive repression or negative views of the family are asterisked. Some are works of non-scientific popular literature, but you should acquaint yourselves with them, since they have had an enormous impact. For a complete bibliography, see the book Victims of Memory.* 1. Adams, K. (1991) Silently Seduced: When Parents Make Their Children Partners: Understanding Covert Incest . Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications.
2. Affect and Accuracy in Recall: Studies of "Flashbulb" Memories. (1992) ed. by E. Winograd and U. Neisser. Cambridge: Cambridge U. Pr.
3. Aldridge-Morris, R. (1989) Multiple Personality: An Exercise in Deception . London: Lawrence Erlbaum.
4. Almy, G. and Almy, C. T. with Jenkins, J. (1994) Addicted to Recovery: Exposing the False Gospel of Psychotherapy, Escaping the Trap of Victim Mentality . Eugene, OR: Harvest House.
5. American Medical Association (1994) "Report of the Council on Scientific Affairs," CSA 5-A-94.
6. American Medical Association Research Council Statement (1995) "Scientific Status of Refreshing Recollection by the Use of Hypnosis," Journal of the Ameircan Medical Association 252, 13.
7. American Psychiatric Association (1993) "Statement on Memories of Sexual Abuse." Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
8. American Psychological Association (1995) "Questions and Answers about Memories of Childhood Abuse," Washington, DC: APA, Aug. 10, 1995.
9. Australian Psychological Society (1995) "Guidelines Relating to the Reporting of Recovered Memories," The Bulletin of the Australian Psychological Society , 17(1), p. 20-21.
10. Baker, R. A. (1992) Hidden Memories: Voices and Visions From Within. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.
11. Baker, R. A. (1990) They Call It Hypnosis . Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.
12. Bartlett, F. C. (1932, 1977) Remembering: A Study in Experimental and Social Psychology . Cambridge: Cambridge U. Pr.
* 13. Bass, E. and Davis, L. (1994) The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse . 3rd ed. NY: HarperPerennial.
14. Beck, A. and Emery, G. with Greenberg, R. L. (1985) Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective . NY: Basic Books.
15. Bikel, O. (1995) "Divided Memories," Frontline TV Show, Parts I & II, April 4, 11. Show #1312 & 1313.
16. Bikel, O. (1995) "The Search for Satan," Frontline TV Show, Oct. 24. Show #1402.
* 17. Blume, E. S. (1990) Secret Survivors: Uncovering Incest and Its Aftereffects in Women . NY: Ballantine.
* 18. Bradshaw, J. (1988) Bradshaw on: The Family . Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications.
* 19. Bradshaw, J. (1995) Family Secrets: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You . NY: Bantam.
* 20. Bradshaw, J. (1992) "Incest: When You Wonder If It Happened To You," Lear's , Aug., 43-4.
* 21. Briere, J. and Conte, J. (1993) "Self-Reported Amnesia for Abuse in Adults Molested As Children," Journal of Traumatic Stress , 6(1), 21-31.
22. Bulkley, E. (1995) Only God Can Heal the Wounded Heart . Eugene, OR: Harvest House.
23. Campbell, J. (1989) The Improbable Machine: What the Upheavals in Artificial Intelligence Research Reveal About How the Mind Really Works . NY: Simon & Schuster.
24. Campbell, T. W. (1994) Beware the Talking Cure: Psychotherapy May Be Hazardous to Your Mental Health . Boca Raton, FL: Upton Books.
25. Ceci, S. J. and Bruck, M. (1995) Jeopardy in the Courtroom: A Scientific Analysis of Children's Testimony . Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
26. Cialdini, R. B. (1984) Influence: How and Why People Agree to Things . NY: William Morrow.
27. CNN Special Assignment (1993) Reported by K. Slobogin, May 3.
28. Crews, F. (1995) The Memory Wars: Freud's Legacy in Dispute . NY: New York Review.
29. Dawes, R. M. House of Cards: Psychology and Psychotherapy Built on Myth . NY: Free Press.
30. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM-IV (1994) Fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
31. Dissociative Identity Disorder: Theoretical and Treatment Controversies (1995) Edited by L. Cohen et al. Northvale, NJ: Jason Aronson.
32. Esterson, A. (1993) Seductive Mirage: An Exploration of the Work of Sigmund Freud . Chicago: Open Court.
33. False Memory Syndrome Foundation (FMSF) Newsletter (1992- ) 3401 Market St., Suite 130, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
34. False Memory Syndrome: Therapeutic and Forensic Perspectives (in press) Ed. by D. A. Halperin. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
35. Feldman, M. D. and Ford, C. V., with Reinhold, T. (1994) Patient or Pretender: Inside the Strange World of Factitious Disorders . NY: John Wiley.
36. Femina, D. D. et al, (1990) "Child Abuse: Adolescent Records vs. Adult Recall," Child Abuse & Neglect, 14, 227-31.
37. Festinger, L. (1957) A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance . Stanford, CA: Stanford Univ. Pr.
38. Frank, J. D. (1961, 1973) Persuasion and Healing: A Comparative Study of Psychotherapy . Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins U. Pr.
* 39. Fredrickson, R. (1992) Repressed Memories: A Journey to Recovery from Sexual Abuse . NY, London: Simon & Schuster.
* 40. Friesen, J. G. (1991) Uncovering the Mystery of MPD . San Bernadino, CA: Here's Life Publishers.
41. "From the Mouths of Babes," (1993) ABC News 20/20 TV show, Oct. 22.
42. "From the Mouths of Children," (1994) Fifth Estate TV show, Canadian Broadcasting Corp., Feb. 15.
43. Goldstein, E., with Farmer, K. (1992) Confabulations: Creating False Memories, Destroying Families . Boca Raton, FL: SIRS.
44. Goldstein, E. and Farmer, K. (1993) True Stories of False Memories . Boca Raton, FL: SIRS.
45. Goodman, G. S., et al. (1994) Characteristics and Sources of Allegations of Ritualistic Child Abuse . Washington, DC: National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect.
46. Groff, W. J. (1995) Decree . State of New Hampshire v. Joel Hungerford & John Morahan. Manchester, NH: Hillborough County Superior Court.
47. Gudjonsson, G. H. (1992) The Psychology of Interrogations, Confessions and Testimony . NY: John Wiley.
48. The Handbook of Emotion and Memory: Research and Theory (1992) Edited by S. Christianson. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
49. Hassan, S. (1990) Combatting Cult Mind Control . Rochester, VT: Park Street Pr.
* 50. Herman, J. L. and Schatzow, E. (1987) "Recovery and Verification of Memories of Childhood Sexual Trauma," Psychoanalytic Psychology , 4(1), 1-14.
* 51. Herman, J. L. (1992) Trauma and Recovery . NY: Basic Books.
52. Heaton, J. A. and Wilson, N. L. (1995) Tuning in Trouble: Talk TV's Destructive Impact on Mental Health . San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
53. Hicks, R. D. (1991) In Pursuit of Satan: The Police and the Occult . Buffalo, NY: Prometheus.
54. Hill, F. (1995) A Delusion of Satan: The Full Story of the Salem Witch Trials . NY: Doubleday.
55. Hilts, P. J. (1995) Memory's Ghost: The Strange Tale of Mr. M. and the Nature of Memory . NY: Simon & Schuster.
56. Hobson, J. A. (1994) The Chemistry of Conscious States: How the Brain Changes Its Mind . Boston: Little Brown.
57. Hoffer, E. (1951) The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements . NY: Harper & Row.
58. Jaroff, L. (1993) "Lies of the Mind," Time , Nov. 29, 52-9.
59. Kenny, M. G. (1986) The Passion of Ansel Bourne: Multiple Personality in American Culture . Washington, DC: Smithsonian Pr.
60. Lanning, K. V. (1992) Investigator's Guide to Allegations of "Ritual" Child Abuse , Jan., FBI Academy, Quantico, VA 22135.
61. Laurence, J. and Perry, C. (1988) Hypnosis, Will, and Memory: A Psycho-Legal History . NY: Guilford.
* 62. Littauer, F. and Littauer, F. (1988) Freeing Your Mind From Memories That Bind . San Bernardino, CA: Here's Life Publishers.
63. Loftus, E. and Ketcham, K. (1994) The Myth of Repressed Memory: False Memories and Allegations of Sexual Abuse . NY: St. Martin's.
64. Loftus, E. and Ketcham, K. (1991) Witness for the Defense: The Accused, the Eyewitness, and the Expert Who Puts Memory on Trial . NY: St. Martin's.
* 65. Love, P. with Robinson, J. (1990) The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to Do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life . NY: Bantam.
66. MacLean, H. N. (1993) Once Upon a Time: A True Story of Memory, Murder and the Law . NY: HarperCollins.
67. Macmillan, M. (1991) Freud Evaluated: The Completed Arc . NY: North-Holland.
68. McNamara, E. (1994) Breakdown: Sex, Suicide and the Harvard Psychiatrist . NY: Pocket Books.
69. Memory Distortion: How Minds, Brains, and Societies Reconstruct the Past (1995) Edited by D. L. Schacter. Cambridge, MA: Harvard U. Pr.
70. Mithers, C. L. (1994) Therapy Gone Mad: The True Story of Hundreds of Patients and a Generation Betrayed . Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
71. Nathan, D. and Snedeker, M. (1995) Satan's Silence: Ritual Abuse and the Making of a Modern American Witch Hunt . NY: Basic Books.
72. North, C. S. et al. (1993) Multiple Personalities, Multiple Disorders: Psychiatric Classification and Media Influence . NY: Oxford U. Press.
73. Ofshe, R. and Watters, E. (1994) Making Monsters: False Memories, Psychotherapy, and Sexual Hysteria . NY: Scribner.
74. Pendergrast, M. (1995, 1996) Victims of Memory: Sex Abuse Accusations and Shattered Lives . Second ed. Hinesburg, VT: Upper Access.
75. Poole, D. A., Lindsay, D. S., Memon, A. and Bull, R. (1995) "Psychotherapy and the Recovery of Memories of Childhood Sexual Abuse: U.S. and British Practitioner's Opinions, Practices, and Experiences," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology , 63(3), 426-37.
76. Pope, H. G., Jr. and Hudson, J. I. (1995) "Can Memories of Childhood Sexual Abuse Be Repressed?" Psychological Medicine , 25, 121-6.
* 77. Putnam, F. W. (1989) Diagnosis and Treatment of Multiple Personality Disorder . London: Guilford.
78. Repression and Dissociation: Implications for Personality Theory, Psychopathology, and Health (1990) Ed. by J. L. Singer. Chicago: U. of Chicago Pr.
79. Roiphe, K. (1993) The Morning After: Fear, Sex, and Feminism on Campus. Boston: Little, Brown.
80. Rose, S. (1992) The Making of Memory . NY: Doubleday.
* 81. Russell, D. E. H. (1986) The Secret Trauma: Incest in the Lives of Girls and Women . NY: Basic.
82. Schacter, D. (1996) Searching for Memory: The Brain, the Mind, and the Past . NY: Basic Books.
83. Shorter, E. (1992) From Paralysis to Fatigue: A History of Psychosomatic Illness in the Modern Era . NY: Free Press.
84. Siegel, S. J. (1991) What To Do When Psychotherapy Goes Wrong. Tukwila, WA: Stop Abuse by Counselors.
85. Singer, M. T. with Lalich, J. (1995) Cults in our Midst: The Hidden Menace in our Everyday Lives . San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
86. Smith, S. (1994) Survivor Psychology: The Dark Side of a Mental Health Mission . Boca Raton: Upton Books.
87. Sommers, C. H. (1994) Who Stole Feminism? How Women Have Betrayed Women. NY: Simon & Schuster.
88. Spiegel, H. and Spiegel, D. (1978) Trance and Treatment: Clinical Uses of Hypnosis . NY: Basic.
89. Squire, L. R. (1987) Memory and Brain . NY: Oxford.
90. Tavris, C. (1982) Anger: The Misunderstood Emotion . NY: Simon & Schuster.
91. Tavris, C. (1992) The Mismeasure of Woman . NY: Touchstone.
* 92. Terr, L. (1994) Unchained Memories: True Stories of Traumatic Memories, Lost and Found . NY: Basic Books.
93. Theories of Hypnosis (1991) Edited by S. J. Lynn and J. W. Rhue. NY: Guilford Press.
94. Torrey, E. F. (1992) Freudian Fraud: the Malignant Effect of Freud's Theory on American Thought and Culture . NY: HarperCollins.
95. Tulving, E. (1983) Elements of Episodic Memory . NY: Clarendon Pr.
96. Underwager, R. and Wakefield, H. (1994) The Return of the Furies: Analysis of Recovered Memory Therapy . Chicago: Open Court.
* 97. Van der Kolk, B. A. (1994) "The Body Keeps the Score: Memory and the Evolving Psychobiology of Posttraumatic Stress," Harvard Review of Psychiatry , Jan/Feb., 253-65.
98. Victor, J. S. (1993) Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend. Chicago: Open Court.
99. Wassil-Grimm, C. (1995) Diagnosis for Disaster: The Devastating Truth about False Memory Syndrome and Its Impact on Accusers and Families . Woodstock, NY: Overlook.
100. Webster, R. (1995) Why Freud Was Wrong: Sin, Science and Psychoanalysis . London: HarperCollins; NY: Basic Books.
101. Wexler, R. (1995) Wounded Innocents: The Real Victims of the War Against Child Abuse . Second Edition. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus.
* 102. Whitfield, C. L. (1995) Memory and Abuse: Remembering and Healing the Effects of Trauma . Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications.
* 103. Williams, L. M. (1994) "Recall of Childhood Trauma: A Prospective Study of Women's Memories of Child Sexual Abuse," Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology , 62(6), 1167-76.
* 104. Williams, L. M. (1995) "Recovered Memories of Abuse in Women with Documented Child Sexual Victimization Histories," Journal of Traumatic Stress , 8(4), 649-73.
105. Wright, L. (1994) Remembering Satan: A Case of Recovered Memory and the Shattering of an American Family . NY: Knopf.
106. Yapko, M. D. (1994) Suggestions of Abuse: True and False Memories of Childhood Sexual Traumas . NY: Simon & Schuster.
107. Zilbergeld, B. (1983) The Shrinking of America: Myths of Psychological Change . Boston: Little Brown.